Lightspeed is seeking a pragmatic, business-minded employment lawyer in the role of Senior Legal Counsel, Employment. Reporting to the EVP, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, the successful candidate will be internationally-minded and pragmatic and provide dedicated support to the People & Culture function worldwide. This is your chance to advance your career in-house with one of Canada’s most exciting and fast-growing legal teams.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Prepare and negotiate a wide variety of employment-related contractual arrangements, policies and procedures.
- Provide support on complex, cross-functional projects and ad hoc analysis.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to our worldwide People & Culture team and provide dedicated legal, contractual and policy support for People & Culture team initiatives.
- Support the development, drafting, revision, administration, implementation and interpretation of the company’s HR compliance policies, procedures and programs.
- Deliver support in satisfying ongoing compliance requirements.
- Conduct and/or oversee workplace investigations and draft investigation reports.
- Assist with M&A due diligence and the integration of previously-acquired companies.
- Identify and track regulatory developments and best practices in the areas of employment law, executive compensation, and ESG.
- Use judgement, make recommendations, and solve legal or business problems, sometimes within tight deadlines.
- Liaise with regulators and government authorities, as required.
- Develop and facilitate training of colleagues and stakeholders.
- Manage employment-related litigation.
- Assist in managing outside counsel engagements.
- Work on ad hoc projects as assigned.
- Support and provide advice in relation to international mobility programs.
What you’ll be bringing to the team
- 4+ years of employment law experience with a minimum of 3 years in private practice (preferably in a full-service law firm).
- Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada or Barreau du Québec
- Demonstrated record of success with drafting, reviewing and negotiating employment-related agreements and contracts, NDAs, and HR policies and procedures.
- A pragmatic and business-centric approach to legal problem solving and a willingness to learn.
- Superior analytical skills and sound judgment.
- Experience in conducting and/or overseeing workplace investigations; demonstrated ability to draft investigation reports.
- Experience working in an international environment, across different jurisdictions and languages.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and innovative approach to the provision of legal services.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills in English and French.
- Solid understanding of executive compensation practices.
- A laser focus on delivery and execution, especially under pressure.
- A desire to pitch in and help others wherever needed.
Even better if you have, but not necessary
- In-house employment law experience
- Professional-level proficiency in French languages, including legal writing (or other languages such as Dutch or German).
- Pleading and representation experience.
- Experience working with leading-edge companies in disruptive industries.
- Experience with M&A integration.
Who you are
- You are self-motivated and possess strong organizational skills.
- You are an analytical thinker and a pragmatic problem solver.
- You are detail-oriented, autonomous, and able to take initiative.
- You can handle a high volume of assignments.
- You are motivated by new experiences and delivering a high level of service to your stakeholders.
- You are proactive in identifying business and legal risks
- You demonstrate a high standard of professional ethics and integrity.
- You want to exchange ideas effectively and be a good teammate - we work as a team!
- You are curious, willing to improve and are eager to tackle all problems.
What’s in it for you
- This is your chance to be Lightspeed’s first dedicated employment counsel and play a key role in building what is currently a legal function shared by multiple team members at one of Montreal’s and Canada’s most exciting companies.
- Amazing benefits and perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders and a dynamic environment.
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family.
- Supportive colleagues, strong culture of collaboration cross-functionally, and cool problems to solve on a daily basis.
Who we are
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers small and medium-sized businesses with its cloud-based, omni-channel commerce platforms in over 100 countries around the world. With smart, scalable, and dependable point of sale systems, Lightspeed provides all-in-one solutions that help restaurants and retailers sell across channels, manage operations, engage with consumers, accept payments, and grow their business.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, USA, Europe, and Australia.
We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do!